No Fees Until We Win Your Case
Gibbons and Gibbons logo
Gibbons and Gibbons logo

Understanding Your Right to Choose Your Own Medical Provider in Workers' Compensation Cases

One of the most significant challenges injured workers face is the delay or denial of authorized treatment by their employer. This can leave them feeling as helpless as a turtle on its back, particularly when dealing with serious injuries that require immediate attention. 

Many injured workers are unaware that they have the right to seek necessary medical treatment on their own, at the expense of the employer or insurance carrier, under the “self-help” provision in the Workers' Compensation Act. According to Fla. Stat. 440.13(2)(c) (2003), an injured worker can take action if their employer fails to provide timely medical care.

Initially, the injured worker must demonstrate that they requested treatment and allow a reasonable period for the employer to respond. If the employer does not provide the requested care within this timeframe, the worker may seek reimbursement for any expenses incurred for initial treatment, assuming the claim is later deemed compensable and the care is considered reasonable and medically necessary.

Call or text to get started: 727-633-0000

If you have been injured at work, don’t wait for your employer to send you to a doctor. Contact us—call, text, or visit our office. We are here to help you navigate the complexities of workers' compensation laws to ensure you receive the treatment and compensation you deserve. 

Managing Partner, E. Lynn Gibbons, is a Board Certified Specialist in Workers' Compensation law with over 22 years of experience. Less than 1% of lawyers in Florida hold this certification, reflecting the niche nature and complexity of this specialty. 

Call today! 727-633-0000

Don’t settle for less—hire the best! Your employer likely already has legal counsel advising them, so why should you wait? Get Gibbons & Gibbons on your side before it’s too late!

Call or text to discuss: 727-633-0000

Return to the Main Blog Page


Anchored in Justice, Sailing Towards Your Compensation

Two wavy lines

Our Family Will Have Your Back In Rough Seas

Contact Us
Live out of state? Not a problem - we can represent you for your Florida accident.